Sunday, April 8, 2012

Oliebollen

One of our favorite holiday traditions is going to my Uncle Ric and Aunt Joan's on New Year's Day for Oliebollens. They are amazing! They are one of the BEST treats! We eat some fruit and other things too, but we LOVE the oil cakes. It was an old tradition that my Great-Grandma used to do when my mom was growing up and my uncle brought it back a few years ago when my Grandpa was sick. It is so fun and we see lots of extended family we rarely see. And eat lots of good food.
Hanging out in the basement watching a movie or football. Or both. They were both on at different times. Rylee, Uncle Kyle, Daddy, Logan and Uncle JeffUncle Brad
Enjoying some of the spread. Oliebollens are delicious! They are like a scone and a doughnut crossed together. And they are rolled in sugar. But, for some reason, it takes me awhile to convince my kids to try them. The girls were just happy with all the fruit.
Avery eats the WHOLE piece of watermelon if no one stops her...
Finally trying an oil cake...
See??? Delicious!!! I am pretty sure I had at LEAST 5! Whose counting? I am eating for 2 and they taste really light, so you think you need more. But an hour or 2 later, they settle in your stomach like a rock. And you remember how many you ate!
Quick family pic...
Happy New Year!!!

No comments: