Friday, July 1, 2011

Mom's Getaway

April 28-29 - In April, I did something I have never done before. I left the kids at home with Darren and went on a little girls' getaway with some of my dear friends from my ward. I was so excited! We went down to BYU Women's Conference and had a great time. It took me back to my EFY days - It was like EFY on steroids with grown women fighting to get into classes and saving seats like crazy people. It cracked me up that the speakers would ask repeatedly to please not leave early from the classes to get to the next one, and that half the audience would be dashing from their seats as soon as the closing song began. We had a great time - We ate some delicious food (including a BYU mint brownie!), were spiritually uplifted and had tons of fun and lots of laughing! I truly bonded with all these girls and love them all! They are great examples in my life and so much fun to be around! I came home feeling recharged and with a greater resolve to do more and be a better mom, which is what it is all about, right? It was something I truly needed. I felt the Spirit so strong down there and learned so much. Now that I teach Primary, I truly miss having great adult lessons and learning in Relief Society, so this was perfect for me! I am so grateful my husband worked things out so I could go and that I didn't have to worry about the kids at all. It was a great weekend!
The first night we ate at the Brick Oven. It was so yummy, but we all got sick afterwards! I think it was because we starved ourselves all day rushing to all the classes and then we stuffed ourselves at the Salad and Pasta Bar. After dinner, we went to the concert and all took turns dashing to the bathroom the whole time. The concert was great. Then we went to our hotel and did some girl talk and hit the sack. 8 girls in one room! It was a little crazy, but so fun!!!
Here we are at the closing session - Elder Bednar! He was FABULOUS! I love hearing him speak! He used the analogy of a drip irrigation system. He said we should be like that - focused and steady - rather than a sprinkler - sporadic. It was great. I also went to a class that day by Stephanie Nielson, who is the girl who was in the plane crash and burned so badly and has the Nie Nie blog that is so popular. It was her and her sisters and it was SO good! I think we were all in tears by the end.
All the ladies before we headed for home! Me, Barbi, Jill, Cheryl, Emily, Sylvia, Amelia and Marcie - We met a couple other friends there on Friday - Jenn and Stephanie, but they weren't with us when we took pictures.
And what would a girl trip be without a close-up picture that we took ourselves? My favorite kind of pic!

After we finished our classes that day, we headed to PF Chang's - my favorite! It was delish! We did a little shopping (but not nearly enough!) and headed for home. It was the perfect little break for me! Thanks girlies!!!

No comments: