Friday, May 7, 2010

Series of Unfortunate Events

Lately, we've had a few house catastrophes at our house. They were all pretty minor, but all caused by a couple of cute little troublemakers. This post is because someday I will laugh about this....Maybe I already am...but in the moment, it wasn't all that funny!
The first one happened at the end of March. The kids were playing SO cute together! They were playing gymnastics, and they were pretending they were Haley Hogan and Heather Heinrich, 2 of the USU gymnasts. I was amazed they paid any attention at the meet, let alone remembered the gymnasts names! Anyway, I had to go upstairs to put Avery down for her nap, and I left them to their gymnastics. Rylee was doing a lovely beam routine and they seemed to be having fun. Avery went down pretty easy, so I took a few minutes to get dressed and brush my teeth. I should have known better than to take time for myself - Something bad always happens when I do! I heard a weird thud a couple of times, but thought they must be jumping off the couch for their gymnastics. Then I came downstairs to discover that they had found a new vault - One with some spring to it - The dishwasher door! Yep....They were jumping on the dishwasher door similar to a trampoline! YIKES!!! They were in pretty big trouble over this one! I was SO mad and sent them both to timeout on the couch. (Well...first I said a not so good word that Logan later repeated to my sister and her boyfriend, and then to the neighbors. Awesome parenting skills - You think I would learn!) I told them they had to stay in timeout until we left for their dentist appointments in about a half hour. Logan was a mess! He was so upset and he kept telling me it was unfair and then told me that if he couldn't watch a show, neither could I. I said that was fine and then he started telling me, "I'm going to delete all your shows from the DVR. I'm going to delete all the American Idols. I'm going to delete all the Good Things Utahs. I'm going to delete all the Oprahs and Ellens. I'm going to delete all the Modern Family's." and he just kept going. Now that he knows how to read, he is very familiar with what is on our DVR. By the time we got to Darren's office for their appointments, his whole staff had heard about what happened and thought it was hilarious, which didn't help things, since the kids thought their stunt was quite humorous. They spent a Saturday picking up rocks in our dirt to get ready for grass to "pay" back the door. The good news is it was still under warranty. The repairman did say to me "I've seen this a few times. It usually is from the kids standing on it to reach something." I didn't dare to say, "Actually they were using it as a gymnastic apparatus!" I just told him we would watch more carefully.... He also told me the warranty wouldn't cover this repair another time....
Now onto incident #2 - A couple weeks later, I had gone upstairs to get something and came down to find Rylee standing on the back of the couch, holding up the VERY large frame that hangs over the couch. She was telling Logan to hurry and help her hang it up before Mom came. BUSTED again! Logan kicked the frame climbing on the back of the couch (which is something I tell him not to do at least 5 times a day!) and when it fell, it took off a bunch of paint. Luckily, Rylee caught it before it fell, but we now have a lovely scratch on our wall.
Now, incident #3, which was a bit of a rerun of #2. The kids were playing dinosaur train in the front room while I was doing dishes. I don't like them to play in there, but since they were being nice to each other, I didn't bother them. For some reason, Logan decided to climb over the chair to hide and in the process knocked our large picture on the wall. When I went in there, he was holding the picture up against the wall with his feet and was hanging upside down over the chair. I guess it was good he had practiced gymnastics a few weeks earlier and that he caught it, but it did hit into the wall and leave a small hole that now needs some repair. I guess they will have a few more rock picking days to come!
My favorite incident was #4! About a week ago, the bishop and his wife came for a visit. We gave the kids the big talk about being polite and quiet while they were here. They were pretty good....a little too good and kept disappearing. After they left and we got the kids ready for bed, we were reading scriptures and Darren noticed something on Logan's hand. He asked him what it was and Logan said "Superglue" like it was no big deal. I didn't even know we had superglue, let alone where he would have found it or what he would have used it on. Darren asked him, "Why did you have Superglue?" Logan - "I was fixing Ry's duck" (Both of my kids have special little ducks that I took from my Grandpa's house when he died. Apparently, Rylee had broken hers, and Logan had decided to fix it himself.) Darren said, "Where did you do that?" Logan - "My secret hiding place" We were trying not to laugh at that, but also needed to know what damage had been caused, so we told him we needed to see where his secret hiding place was. He led us to the living room, behind the chair. (It is up against the wall, so there is a small kind of cave the kids hide in a lot.) There on the floor, was Rylee's duck with the head put on a little bit crooked. It was sitting in a pile of superglue and was stuck quite tightly to our wood floor. Yep...he super glued a duck to the floor! You can't make this stuff up! He and Rylee were both sent to their rooms and had to go to bed without a story, but Darren and I were having a pretty hard time keeping a straight face. I can just picture Rylee breaking her duck and Logan volunteering to fix it and both of them sneaking behind the couch while we were talking to the bishop so they wouldn't be caught. Luckily, we were able to get the superglue (and the duck) off the floor without too much damage. It did take off a bit of the finish, but nothing too bad.
I don't know if I will survive all their antics! They seem to be quite the destructive team and they are still so little! Watch out Bonnie and Clyde!

2 comments:

Brooke :) said...

that is so funny! I love the duck one! :)

The Ollies said...

Ha! Ha! Love the duck story the best!