Friday, September 26, 2008

For A Great "Mann"

On Saturday morning, my step-grandpa, Renny Mann, passed away. He and my Grandma had been married for almost 8 years, so he hasn’t always been a part of our family, but he was a great guy and we enjoyed the time he spent with us. He was always there for all of our family functions and made my Grandma very happy. He has been quite sick the past few months. At his funeral on Wednesday, each family of grandkids was asked to share their memories of Renny. I was nominated from our family…I have no idea how that happened given my speaking history… so I thought I would post all of the memories that my family shared about Renny, mostly for our own family records.
My dad actually remembers being just 15 and going out to Plain City for the square dances that Renny used to call. (Renny is a world-famous square dance caller...seriously!) My dad admits that he went mostly for the girls, but he said that Renny was a great caller and made it fun. He also said that Renny was very thoughtful and kind and that he really enjoyed a good conversation and was great to have around.
My mom remembers how much he loved his dog, Toby and that he always had him in his lap when we went to visit; how much Renny liked to belt out the Christmas songs at our Christmas program on Christmas Eve; and how kind he was to Grandma.
I remember being a Freshman in College and he and my Grandma were just dating. He would call square dances at the Senior Center in Logan and invite me to go. It was quite interesting but always fun! Those cute square dancers loved young blood and were so excited to have me there and always made me feel welcome and included! There was always lots of hugging! Sometimes I even took a date with me and it was a lot of fun. Afterwards, my grandma and Renny would take me out for dessert and they were like teenagers - they were so in love!
Darren remembers that Renny was kind to everyone all the time.
Dean remembers that Renny and my Grandma were always there on Christmas Eve and that during the Nativity program, Renny would sing so loud, which was good since the rest of our family doesn’t really sing! Dean could tell how much Renny loved music!
Heather and Jay remember taking Grandma and Ren to dinner. They had lots of fun and Grandma and Ren made for a great double date. Ren got spaghetti, and they found out it was his favorite. It was so fun to just hang out like friends and share stories. Ren told Heather and Jay about when he and my Grandma were dating. He said they'd fog the windows...
Heather is a big dog lover and will always remember Renny's relationship with Toby, who is their dog. They were best friends and did everything together. Ren loved Toby very much.
Heather also remembers Ren always offering anyone the orange spongy circus peanuts. We all thought they were gross but took them anyway.
Jay remembers Ren always teasing us when we were dating saying here comes the two love birds.
Vanessa remembers the Thanksgiving at the Hillstrom’s house. We all went for a little hay ride in Huntsville and then Renny called and taught us all square dancing in their family room. Our family doesn’t really do dancing either, but it was a lot of fun!
Jeff remembers all the stories he had about hunting and fishing.
Brad remembers all the stories about when he served in the military.
Kyle remembers ( with tears) that Renny came to his birthday party last week when he has so sick.
Logan remembers seeing Renny at the hospital last week. I had taken the kids to Ogden to meet a friend at the Dinosaur Park (post still to come…) and stopped to see Renny at the hospital. Logan was SO good to stay quiet while Renny was sleeping, but as soon as Renny woke up, Logan started chatting his ear off! He wanted to tell Renny all about the dino park and that he was going to play soccer soon. They were a great pair – Logan was going on and on, but I don’t think Renny could hear much of what he was saying so I don’t think he could get too bothered. After awhile, Logan noticed all the things Renny was hooked up to, especially the oxygen tube in his nose, and became very concerned. He kept saying, “What is going on here Renny? What is going on at this office?” He was so worried for him! When we told Logan that Renny had passed away, he was pretty sad that Renny wouldn’t be able to come to any of his soccer games. When we told him Renny had gone to live with Heavenly Father and that he wasn’t sick anymore, Logan was so glad and wanted to be sure he didn’t have “that tube” in his nose anymore! Such a sweet little boy!
We are all glad that Renny is in a better place and grateful for the time he shared with our family.

1 comment:

Clark Family said...

I'm glad you posted this. It's good to have the memories!

P.S. I think that Renny actually passed away Saturday morning, you have Sunday, anyway you may want to check for sure.