Monday, January 24, 2011

Five...and a HALF

Why am I so bad at this??? I started this post in December and just because I had finished it in my head, I assumed it was posted! Well... I never quite finished it. So here is it... a little late! He is SIX in a couple of weeks! SHEESH!

Logan was SO excited for Christmas not just because it was Christmas and he REALLY wanted a Kinect, but because at Christmas time that meant he would officially be five...and a HALF! A lot of his friends are already six and he is dying to be six, too. He likes to remind me about that HALF! How do they grow up so fast? Here are just a few things about him at five...and a HALF!
Here are some of Logan's favorites as a Five and a Half year old....

Favorite Food: Chicken! Logan LOVES chicken and meat in general. Sometimes he says that he is a carnivore (since he LOVES dinosaurs so much). One night we were eating something and he asked, "Mom, is this carrion?" Really??? What 5 year old says that! He is also always asking if the chicken is boneless or not - He doesn't like bones in his chicken! He also loves all the other foods a 5 year old should - Chicken nuggets, corndogs, mac n cheese....all those super nutritious foods!
Favorite Treat: Hershey's and ice cream. I'm not sure where the Hershey's came from... He likes plain old Vanilla ice cream, just like his daddy!
Favorite Color: BLUE!!! Aggie blue, of course! Do you even need to ask???
Best friends: His daddy, of course, and Rylee (and I should probably include Avery, too) and Carter, Gracie, (also his first crush! So cute!!!) and Morgan and his cousin Mason and probably his uncles too...
Favorite TV Show: Wipeout! (He LOVES this show and laughs so hysterical the whole time and even builds his own obstacles around the house thanks to my couch cushions!) He also loves Dinosaur Train and has recently discovered the old school Transformers cartoon and he really likes that, too.
Favorite Movie: Cars (which has been his favorite movie since he was about 2) and Star Wars! We won't let him watch the 3rd movie though and that makes him crazy!!!
Favorite Book: Any book about dinosaurs - Logan LOVES dinos and knows so much about them. He seriously corrects me just about every time I read with him about how you say the dino names.
What he wants to be when he grows up: Paleontologist or a basketball player
Favorite Sport: Changes daily!!! Usually soccer or basketball, but he goes through football and hockey phases, too.
Favorite things to do: Go to Games (especially Aggie games), play Kinect and Xbox, Play sports
Favorite Places he has gone: Disneyland, Disneyworld, Sea World and Yellowstone
Favorite Toys: Star Wars action figures and his new Leapster
Favorite Stuffed Animal: Buffalo
Favorite Song: At night, Logan always requests "I am a Child of God" - all THREE verses! And if you skip one, he lets you know! He also loves listening to Michael Jackson and some of the other songs his uncle teaches him and he has some SA-WEET dance moves!!! The kids remembers the words to just about EVERY song he hears and is always singing.

One other funny thing.... Logan talks really well and even uses a lot of big words all the time. However, he has one word that he uses that just cracks us all up. Instead of aren't I, he says amn't I? I guess he has made up his own contraction! I love it!!!

The biggest change for Logan in going from a five year old to being five and a half is that in those months, he has started school! This is his cute Kindergarten picture - I love it! It is SO my Logan! Notice he has spiked hair, but there are parts of it there are not too spiked because he probably smooshed them down - He hates when I spike his hair!

He is doing great in school and LOVING it! It is hard to have him gone everyday, but I am glad it is only a few hours. I don't know how it will go next year! I will miss him so much. I am so grateful that he is so happy about school and has such a wonderful teacher who he adores! It has been great to see him grow so much and make new friends. Logan is so smart and learns so quickly and has such an enthusiasm for learning and just for life in general. I love having him in our family! He keeps us all going! Logan is a GREAT reader! He can pretty much read anything we give him. He amazes me. He goes to the 2nd grade class to bring home books and he always brings home books about science. His favorites have been shark books! He LOVES those!!! He has also brought home lots of other animal books and some about volcanoes and tornados and things like that. He loves learning about that stuff and remembers so much of what he learns.

Some of his favorite things about school are his friends and going to the library (which he only brings home Froggy books that were his favorite when he was little or planet or dinosaur books) and RECESS! Whenever I ask Logan about his favorite part of his day at school it is always recess...unless they didn't have recess and then that is his LEAST favorite part of the day! Darren and I take turns volunteering in Logan's class once a week and he LOVES when we go in there. He will always give me a big hug and kiss and I am so happy that he is not embarrassed to do that in front of his friends. He is a sweetheart!

Logan has had 2 parent-teacher conferences since the year started, which I meant to blog about at the time, but never did, so I guess I will just add them into this post since it is all about him anyway....

In October, his report card looked pretty good. He had a couple things that were marked Progressing instead of satisfactory, but they mostly had to do with taking pride in his work and taking a little more time on things....and using scissors! YIKES! I don't know if I ever remembered to blog this but one of the first weeks of school Logan came home with a HUGE chunk cut out of his eyelashes! I almost started bawling! I love his eyelashes and I wasn't sure if they could grow back. He informed me he got bored and cut them with the scissors! That is why I never let my kids use them at home!!! And why he has a hard time cutting now at school... Luckily they did grow back...

All of his other scores were perfect or darn close and on his district testing he did awesome! His teacher said "I love Logan! His personality and curiosity are endearing! He is a very bright little boy. We all love him!" His goal was to keep reading and to start a journal, which he has done and I love it! It is so cute the things he writes and the funny pictures he draws....he hates to draw though so they are always very quick!

In January, we had another conference. This time all his scores were satisfactory (the hightest of the 3 marks)...except for takes pride in his work which we are still working on... All his test scores were perfect again and some of his district test scores were off the charts, which his teacher said might mean that he was the highest in the district! His teacher wrote," I love Logan so much! His interesting insights, his questions and his personality have added so much to our classroom. He is great!"

I am so proud of Logan! He is such a good boy and so smart and is growing up so fast! He is so tender sometimes and really tries hard to be nice to others. There is a little boy in his class who has some learning problems and Logan is so nice and sweet with him. He is so funny and keeps me laughing all the time! Sometimes I think he is a 50 year old in a 5 year olds body with the way he talks and his funny habits, like reading the sports page everyday. He keeps our life interesting! He is the BEST big brother ever and so kind to his sisters. He has a great imagination and loves to learn about how everything works. I also love that he still loves to snuggle and he still sucks his thumb and rubs my thumb. I kind of wish he would stop sucking his thumb, but sometimes I secretly love it because it makes him seem like my little baby! We are so happy he is part of our family and that he can say he is five...and a HALF!

No comments: