Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hardware Ranch

A couple months ago, (Feb 6) we visited Hardware Ranch, an elk refuge not too far from our house. Since we moved back to Utah, it has become a tradition to visit Hardware Ranch each winter. We love going! It is not terribly exciting, but it is something fun we can get out and do in the winter. We invite all of our family, and whoever can comes along with us. We had a really fun time going this year. We met up with everyone at McDonald's for lunch, where my naughty teenage brothers used the lunch treys on the slide and broke them! Once everyone was there, we headed up to the ranch. This year our group was pretty big and we had a lot of fun. On Darren's side, Val came along with 2 of her kids, Spencer and Lauren. His brother Kevin and April and Haley came and also his brother Matt and his family - Mandy, Cambree, Chloee and Liam. My parents came and my 3 little brothers - Jeff, Brad and Kyle - and both my Grandmas.
Before we went out to the ranch, we checked out the Visitors Center. They have some interesting things and lots of animal facts and the kids always really like it. Here is Darren and Kevin trying out an antler on Spencer.
Here is Logan reading one of the displays with lots of different animal furs.
My funny Rylee!
I don't know why this picture won't turn the right way - I love Logan's nervous eyes - I think he thinks the cougar might still be alive! He was pretty funny about taking his picture with a cougar - YUCK!
Avery was pretty interested in this elk's mouth. Gross! Uncle Jeff thought it was pretty funny!


Jeff thought it was so funny to show Avery all the animals and she actually seemed pretty interested in them!

Rylee checking out a display
Rylee and Grandma digging in the sand
Logan modeling some antlers. So silly!
Spencer trying them out.
Rylee and Grandpa playing in the sand. They had a bunch of different things so that you could make animal hoof prints. One of the things was the bottom half of an elk's leg.... Gross!
Me and Darren...and an elk!
Family shot - I love Rylee's pose
After the visitor's center, we headed out to the wagon ride. They take you out on a little ride right through all the elk. I think we took up the whole wagon with just our group, except for one other couple and 1 ornery guy who was by himself. Here are Rylee and my Grandma. She rode on Great-Grandma's lap for quite awhile. I love how this picture turned out!
Avery loved it! I was a little nervous because it had been so cold, but we went on a beautiful day and it wasn't too bad at all. She loves being outside and having so much to see and didn't fuss at all! It was a little bright so she had a hard time opening up her eyes.
Logan wanted to ride with Aunt April and hold her thumb!
Here are some shots of our group - my brother Kyle, Mandy, Matt and Liam
Rylee with her Great-Grandmas
My mommy and daddy. Aren't they cute?
Another one of Logan sucking his thumb again...
My cute nephew Liam - I love his curly hair!
My brother Kyle loves this kind of stuff!
Rylee looking at the elk
Cute Avery!
Some of the MANY elk - I think there were over 200 when we went. Not as many as last year. They have up to 500 during the year. The herd was starting to leave already since there wasn't too much snow. These were some of the biggest bulls.
Rylee and Daddy being silly!
I think Rylee is telling us that the elk "MOOOO"
Another big bull elk
Our cute family! We love going on little adventures together!
After the hayride, the kids got to see the big horses that pulled us.
Rylee was pretty nervous!
Logan loved seeing them up close!
Then it was time for a snowball fight! Kyle got hit just right and it stuck in his glasses!
Rylee loves snowball fights - especially when she gets to eat it!
I love how excited Logan gets while he is picking up the snow
He loves playing with his cousins and uncles!
Rylee thought it was so funny when she hit someone!
Eating more snow!
Love those big eyes!

What a fun day! We love being closer to our family now and being able to go and do fun things with them! We had a great time.

No comments: