Saturday, February 6, 2010

Lucky #7!

December 27th marked the beginning of year Number 7 for Darren and I. It fell on a Sunday this year, so we didn't celebrate until the following week. I think we actually spent the day at my family's house for my brother's birthday. For Christmas, my little brother gave us a hotel stay, so we celebrated the next week. We had everything all planned out, but it turned out to be an interesting anniversary. Nothing seemed to work out quite right, but we still had a great time. It was nice just to spend time together. After my Uncle's house on New Year's Day, we dropped the kids off at my mom's for a sleepover and fed Avery and started our anniversary celebration by going to a movie. We finally redeemed movie passes that we got for Christmas last year and bought tickets online for Blindside. The only problem was we bought tickets and then were running late (Big surprise if you know us, right??) By the time we got to the theater, we were about 10 minutes late and then we had to wait in a long line for online ticket pickup and by the time we got into the movie, we were about 20 minutes late and there was no where to sit. There were a few seats, but all of them were in the middle of rows so we would have to climb over people and none were together. Since it was our anniversary, I didn't think we should watch the movie sitting apart from each other, so we just plopped down on the floor at the back of the theater and watched from there. We discussed other options besides watching the movie from the floor, but we had already worked Avery's feeding schedule around going to the movie and we had just eaten at my uncle's, so we weren't hungry enough to go to dinner, so we just stuck it out....on the dirty theater floor.... It was still a date night, and those are hard to come by around here! Luckily, the movie was one of the best I have seen, so I didn't really care that I was sitting on the floor of a dirty movie theater. Until my butt went numb.....
Next, we went back to my mom's house and fed Avery, and then went to dinner at Tepanyaki, one of our favorite places. It was feeling a little bit like deja vu from Darren's birthday - we stayed at the same hotel, went to the same theater (luckily we did NOT see GI Joe again...) and ate at the same restaurant! But, why mess up a good thing, right? We don't have anything like Tepanyaki in Logan, so we like to eat there when we can and it was too far to go to PF Chang's or the Melting Pot. Tepanyaki was delicious...especially the noodles. The only thing that I don't like about Tepanyaki is the seating arrangement - If you have never been there, it is kind of like Benihana and one of those Japanese places where they cook the food while you watch. There are about 10 seats around the grill, so if you go as a couple, you will sit with several other couples. Our weird evening continued as we sat at a table with some VERY weird people who were drinking a lot of alcohol, dropping tons of "F-bombs", going outside to smoke a lot and talking about sex in a VERY explicit way and having a LOT of drama! So fun! We were glad to get out of there! By the end of dinner, Avery was having a meltdown. My mom had tried everything but she was MAD! We had planned to leave her at my mom's but after we saw how upset she was, we decided that we better just take her with us. I figured it was better to take her than worry about her all night or get a phone call at 2 am. So...Avery crashed our anniversary. Good thing she is so cute, right?
For breakfast the next morning, we went to Mimi's Cafe, which was also what we did on Darren's birthday, but you can't beat their breakfasts! I LOVE their stuffed french toasts, muffins and hot chocolate! Yummm!!! It was not our best anniversary celebration, but not our worst - We had a good time. After having 3 kids, you expect for things to not always go as planned.
A few weeks ago, we went to my parent's ward for church and went to a marriage and family class. In it, they had you make a list of the qualities you admired most about your spouse. I missed most of the class because I was out feeding Avery, but Darren gave me the list he made, and ever since I have been meaning to return the favor. So, in honor of our 7 years, here are 7 things I love about my honey!
1 - He is the BEST father! He is there for everything they do and does so much for the kids. Sometimes I get a little wrapped up in cleaning or other things and don't play with the kids as much as I should, but Darren is so great about getting down and playing with them, changing diapers and spending time with them. I LOVE that and am so lucky that he enjoys it and puts family time as such a priority!
2 - He is a great hubby and helps me do everything! He is understanding and is so great to help around the house, clean bathrooms, give his opinion on my craft projects, whatever. He is also great about getting us out on dates when that is sometimes hard for me. Not that I don't want to go, I just have a hard time leaving the little ones, but he makes it important. He is also so supportive of me getting out and doing things with my friends or sisters or having some "me time" and never complains about taking care of the kids so I can go somewhere.
3- He is such a caring person. He really cares about his patients and other people and goes the extra mile for them. Sometimes I think he may end up getting taken advantage of, especially at work, but he always tells me that sometimes it is just the right thing to help people. He is a great home teacher and loves the families he teaches and his Young Men.
4- He is the BEST cook! I love this because I am NOT and I enjoy his cooking and help in the kitchen a lot! It is great!
5- He is a big nerd when it comes to the Aggies or soccer. That may sound not so nice, but I love how into he gets and that he knows everyone the Aggies are scouting and all the soccer schedules. It is a good thing that I am also a sports fan, or it may get to be a little much, but I love that he loves them so much.
6 - His whistling! Just hearing it makes me smile! If you have never heard him whistle, he is pretty good and is whistling a tune constantly. He even has a special "Webber whistle" that he got from his dad that he uses to find me in crowded places. It is great!
7 - He is my best friend! I love spending time with him, even if it is just hanging out and watching TV and our many lame reality shows that we love. He can always make me smile and laugh and I love that about him! He is so good for me!
I could go on and on.... I am a lucky girl and feel so blessed to have such a great hubby! At my brother-in-laws wedding this past weekend, the sealer said that in a marriage you should always make the other person the best version of themselves. I have always felt that Darren makes me better - I hope that I help him, too. It just seems like we are perfect together and make a great team. I hope we have lots more anniversaries to celebrate together! Love you babe!!!

No comments: