Monday, January 28, 2008

A Sad Day!

I was very saddened tonight when my mom called and told me that President Hinckley had passed away this evening. I guess I knew this day would come some time (he was 97), but I am very sad that we will no longer have the opportunity to hear from him. I have always loved listening to President Hinckley speak and his cute sense of humor and his amazing optimism and incredible love of life! I have always admired so much his zeal for life and how much energy he always seemed to have.
President Hinckley has served as Prophet since I was in high school. These have been some very important years in my life and in the development of my testimony. I have some very fond memories of President Hinckley and feel that my testimony has been strengthened by him and his amazing testimony of the Savior and the gospel.
I remember attending General Conference a few years ago. When President Hinckley walked in, the HUGE Conference Center instantly became quiet and everyone stood. I had never experienced that before and felt the Spirit so strong. He was so cute and waved his cane around to everyone in attendance. (I always wondered why he had that cane - It seemed like he never used it except for to wave at everyone). I felt then a very strong testimony of President Hinckley as the Prophet of the Church and the leader for that time and a deep love for him.
I also remember when I was in college and President Hinckley gave his famous "Be" talk to all the youth of the church. At the end of that talk, I remember him praying for the youth of the church. I felt the Spirit so strong and felt so strengthened by his prayer and humbled that the Prophet of the church would be praying for me. I felt so loved by him and so important and have always had a special place in my heart for President Hinckley. I will be sad to not see him in his chair during Conference but I am also grateful for my testimony of the church and know that the next Prophet, President Monson, will also be someone called of God and the right person to serve at this time. I am also glad to know that President Hinckley will again be with his wife, whom he missed so much. He has seemed so lonely since she passed away - I'm sure theirs will be a joyous reunion! The Church is still true, but President Hinckley will be truly missed!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brooke- Great comments on Pres. Hinckley! I also had an opportunity to see him in Kansas City speak to the youth about his famous B's. I went as a YW leader. I had just barely joined the church & a newlywed & I didn't understand why they would call me to YW! After hearing Pres. Hinckley I felt like Heavenly Father knew my needs and loved me more that I could imagine. Thanks for reminding me of the precious time I had to be a youth again....